Punjab govt to seal worst-hit areas by COVID-19 for two weeks in Lahore
LAHORE (City News) – Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmin Rashid has on Monday said that the provincial government has decided to seal the worst-hit areas by novel coronavirus in Lahore for two weeks, Dunya News reported.
Addressing a press conference in Lahore, the health minister said that the hotspot areas in Cantt, Shad Bagh, Mozang, Nishtar Town, Allama Iqbal Town, Harbanspura, Gulberg, Walled City and Shahdara will be sealed by tomorrow night at twelve while grocery, milk and yogurt shops, medical stores and tandoors will remain open.
Dr Yasmin Rashid said, “Prime Minister Imran Khan has directed to take steps in the worst-hit areas of Lahore as the city has become the biggest issue. Standard operating procedures (SOPs) are not being followed here.
“The pandemic is spreading rapidly in the provincial capital. Over 250 coronavirus cases were reported in Wapda Town and 358 in Johar Town.
“People should strictly follow SOPs. Wearing facemasks can reduce the COVID-19 spread by 50 percent. It is regrettable that we are compared with New Zealand. The government will decide to de-seal the areas after analyzing the situation.”
On the other hand, Pakistan has confirmed 97 deaths by novel coronavirus in one day as the number of positive cases has surged to 144,478. The nationwide tally of fatalities has jumped to 2,729.
According to the latest figures by the National Command and Operation Center (NCOC), 5,248 persons have been tested positive for COVID-19 in 24 hours.
Till now 54,138 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Punjab, 53,805 in Sindh, 18,013 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 8,177 in Balochistan, 8,569 in Islamabad, 1,129 in Gilgit-Baltistan and 647 in Azad Kashmir.
Pakistan has so far conducted 897,650 coronavirus tests and 29,085 in last 24 hours. 53,721 coronavirus patients have recovered in the country whereas many are in critical condition.